Monday, August 6, 2012

The Still and The Turmoil

The waterfall

She stood and stared at the waterfall. It wasn't big, only three or four feet tall, and the water poured around the rocks that were in the middle of the stream. Everyone else commented on how pretty it was, but to her the beauty of it was gone. After what had happened only a year before, and even though it was a different waterfall, one she had never seen, she could only see it as water that roared and foamed and could take a life.
Everything in her wanted to give up acting like she had no sadness, fall to the ground and cry all the tears that had been locked up inside her for so long. She wanted to kick something and shout at the sky "God why did you have to take him?" 
But she didn't.

When they reached the lake she went and sat on a rock by herself, she needed a few minutes to get control of her emotions. She looked around her and saw the meadows with wildflowers, she had heard that Jimmy had liked meadows. It seemed that everywhere she looked she saw things that reminded her of Jimmy. She had thought that since a year had gone by the pain would have lessened, but it seemed to have gotten stronger. Her heart was still crying out "Why God, why did you have to take Jimmy?" The still lake seemed so calm in contrast to the turmoil of the pain she felt from losing Jimmy. 

That night when she was reading her Bible she came to Psalm 23.
" The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul..."
Right away she thought of the meadows and the lake. 
"He restores my soul."
She knew it might take a long time but God would heal her heart and "restore her soul." 

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I love this so much. And it reminds me almost exactly of something that happened to me while I was in Montana. Remind me to tell you sometime. Love you, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete